Is electrocompetent cell good for chemical transformation?

Dr. Duncan Clark news at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Sat Jun 23 04:35:25 EST 2001

In article <F200MaizMMG9bYYVHT600004fd6 at hotmail.com>, the eminent Xinkun
Wang at BIOSCI/MRC Human Genome Mapping Project Resource Centre wrote
>I am wondering if electrocompetent cells are good for chemical transformation.

No.

Electrcompetent cells are just zero or low salt concentrated cells and
the electric pulse 'puts the holes in the membrane' throughg which the
DNA gets into the cells.

Chemically competent cells already have the 'holes' so to speak, through
the use of Ca or Rb etc

Duncan
--
It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really
quite busy.

Dr. Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.
Tel. +44 (0) 1252376288