Help with Protein Precipitation

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 24 08:48:49 EST 2001

Dear Jeff,
         in my case I solved a similar problem with a series of very small
scale dialysis experiments to see what I needed in my buffer to keep my
periplasmic  protein soluble.  I tried a range of NaCl concentrations,
pH, and so on and so on, which didn't help at all.  After a lot of
experiments I found that a very small amount of detergent made the protein
stable in 10mM Tris pH8.  0.01% Triton X100, Tween 20 or NP40 were good
but I finally selected 0.01% octyl glucoside because it is thought to be
best for MS.  But the microdialysis experiments were what made finding out
possible.  Regards, Mike.