E. coli preservation

Jim Kami jakami at ucdavis.edu
Sun Jun 24 17:06:05 EST 2001

Hello again,

    Base on what I've been reading, it seems stab cultures are the most
popular method for storing bugs so I'm going to try an experiment using 96
well plates filled with LB + low melt agarose (so I can use a warmed
autoplate filler to save time) and inoculate them with a 96 pin replicator
tool and seal with tape. Let you know how it works in a year or two.
    In the mean time, I recall being told many years ago, that storage
under high molar MgSO4 is equally effective in preserving bugs
"indefinitely". Has anyone heard of this method and know exactly what
concentration of MgSO4 to use ??

Jim Kami
Rm 272 Hunt Hall
Dept. of Agronomy