Is electrocompetent cell good for chemical transformation?

Dima Klenchin klenchin at
Mon Jun 25 08:42:43 EST 2001

ChenHA <hzhen at> wrote:
:"Dr. Duncan Clark" wrote:
:> Chemically competent cells already have the 'holes' so to speak, through
:> the use of Ca or Rb etc
:I'm not sure what the 'holes' means, but I thought no one really knows
:how transformation works in chemically competent cells.  The last I
:read of it, admittedly quite a few years ago, the divalent cations may
:work by altering the surface structures of the cell membrane which
:makes it more permeable to DNA, but I'm not sure if that means
:'holes'.  Perhaps someone has a clearer or more up-to-date explanation
:of how chemical transformation works?

I am afraid nobody has.

For that matter, does anyone knows precise mechanism
of Lambda or T4 DNA entry?

        - Dima