calculations

Bradley Turner bsturner at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 25 11:15:21 EST 2001

On 25 Jun 2001, KH wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a good site or book where I can learn some basic
> chemical calculations? I do it is absurd to be working in a lab and yet
> having problems with simple chemical calculations! Stuff like making
> stock solutions, calculation # of moles, volumetric equations etc.
>
> Thanks,
> KH

Hello KH,

The books that I use frequently (i.e. extremely dogeared,
taped bindings etc.) in the lab are:

Laboratory Mathematics medical and biological applications
June Blankenship & Joe Bill Campbell
C. V. Mosby St. Louis MO 1976
ISBN 0-8016-0700-0

Biochemical Calculations 2nd edition
Irwin H. Segel
John Wiley & Sons 1976
ISBN 0-471-77421-9

The Tools of Biochemistry
Terrance G. Cooper
John Wiley & Sons
ISBN 0-471-17116-6

Somewhat dated and basic, but great for actual applied working
examples of all of those forgotten equations. Also great for
newcomers to the lab.

Hope this helps,
Brad Turner

                    Bradley Turner
                Beth Israel Deaconess
                    Medical Center

Harvard Medical School          617-667-1215 phone
Division of Gastroenterology    617-667-2767 fax
Room Dana 605                   bsturner at biosun.harvard.edu
330 Brookline Avenue            bturner at caregroup.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02215                bsturner at mbcrr.harvard.edu
                   Graduate Student
      Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry
                  Boston University
                   bsturner at bu.edu

---