Fw: Stronger acrylamide gel.

Wed Jun 27 08:40:07 EST 2001

"David J. Meyer" <meyerdj at phibred.com> wrote:
:2 cents more:
:
:I recall that "...for any %T, 5%C gives the smallest pores," although I am
:not sure that I believe it. I am more certain, though that varying %C does
:have a *significant* effect on pore size and gel properties. It is possible
:to make gels *more* brittle with the wrong %C and in some cases gels can be
:rendered opaque.

Yes. Curiously, as one further increases %C, the "pore size"
_increases_. This is presumably because excess of crosslinker
polimerizes gel not with true porous structure but rather
with long "channels" in the gel, more like agarose polimerization.

        - Dima