Fw: Stronger acrylamide gel.

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Wed Jun 27 14:43:11 EST 2001

In <bjm10-CDBA37.16275726062001 at newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>, Bryan
J. Maloney wrote:

>In article <tjhrpcnisk9hcf at corp.supernews.com>, "David J. Meyer"
><meyerdj at phibred.com> wrote:
>
>> 2 cents more:
>>
>> I recall that "...for any %T, 5%C gives the smallest pores," although I
>> am
>> not sure that I believe it. I am more certain, though that varying %C
>> does
>> have a *significant* effect on pore size and gel properties. It is
>> possible
>> to make gels *more* brittle with the wrong %C and in some cases
gels can
>> be
>> rendered opaque.
>
>Having once used the sequencing proportion for a protein gel, I can
>vouch for both of the above.

There is an old paper in which someone analyzed the properties of
acrylamide gels over a wide spectrum of %T, and concluded that the best
results were to reduce the %C as the %T increased:

Blattler et al, J. Chromatography 64:147-155 (1972)

Someone I used to work for made his SDS-PAGE gels this way, and used
to keep his acrylamide and bis-acrylamide stocks separate in order to
vary the ratio of crosslinker at different acryalmide concentrations. I still
make my SDS gels this way.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis