MUG question

Wolfgang Schechinger wolfsc at ibms.sinica.edu.tw
Thu Jun 28 21:15:32 EST 2001

Hi, too.
> Hi,
>
> MUG sold by Sigma states on page 674.
> 4-methylumbelliferyl-beta-D-Glucuronide
> FW 352
>
> MUG is also sold as
> 4-methylumbelliferyl-beta-D-Glucuronide, dihydrate
> with a FW of 2 water molecular higher.
>
> For diagnostic purposes and assay of e.coli in
> water etc... what is the difference really?  Will this
> affect the experiment and assays?

No, since you will add plenty of water, probably.

> Do some companies sell molecules that are hydrate
> form and not indicate this in the certificate of analysis?

Merck??
I sometimes noticed that the indicated molecular weight in
grams per mole did not include the water molecules. If you're
not sure, better check twice.
The indictaed FW usually does not (cannot) reflect purity and
water content (water not complexed  stoichiometrically in
crystals but somehow present in the stuff).
If you just want to color the bugs, it's probably to necessary to
take care of that, but for quantitative analysis it's probably
better to set up a standard curve. What are you actually
planning to do?

There are also other pre-fluorescent glucuronides, conjugated
to FITC (molecular probes) or PNP (sigma?)

> Any comments.?

Wolfgang

[tiss mezzage wahs broduceRd using TYPO GENERATOR zoffwer]
-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger
Lab N233 (c/o Dr. Steve Roffler)
Institute of Biomedical Sciences
Academia Sinica
128 Yen-Chio Yuan Rd. Sec.2
Taipei 115
Taiwan R.O.C.
Tel +886-2-2789-9152
Fax +886-2-2782-9142
Mobile +886-925-136893
e mail wolfsc at ibms dot sinica dot edu dot tw
-----

---