mtDNA extraction

Michael S. Robeson II mrobeson at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Thu Mar 1 13:11:07 EST 2001

    Hi,
    I am trying to extract mtDNA from rotifers (microscopic marine
invertebrates - about 0.5 - 1 mm in length) in order to sequence. I have
had considerable trouble in getting a good clean amount of mtDNA. I am
currently (and have been) trying a variety of Long-PCR methods to just
PCR amplify the mtDNA molecule itself. But it has not been completely
succesful. So, far I have been able to sequence and amplify half of the
mtDNA but no further. I am waiting for some betaine to arrive so I can
use that to help with the PCR and sequencing effort (having problems
there too).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Thanks
-Mike