Problems with Manuscript!/open reviewing

Richard Gordon gordonr at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Mon Mar 5 09:12:25 EST 2001

Dear Martin,
The whole situation would have been avoided by open reviewing, in
which the reviewer signs and thus takes responsibility for the
review. This makes reviewers more careful about what they say. It
also makes it more difficult for idea stealing and anonymous revenge
to occur, because the parties are known to one another. See:

Berezin, A.A., R. Gordon & G. Hunter (1995). Forum: Lifting the
pernicious veil of secrecy; peer reviewers should shed the mask of
anonymity argue three Canadian academics. New Scientist  145(February
11), 46-47.

In this situation, I would politely write the reviewer directly, and
ask, in light of the loss of anonymity, if he/she would like to alter
any of the suggestions for improving your manuscript. Simply explain
that you understand that anonymity sometimes causes people to say
things they wouldn't say otherwise. After all, the shoe could have
been on the other foot.

Yours, -Dick Gordon
ps: I sign all reviews, positive or negative. I also send a copy
directly to the authors, to get around editors who hold anonymity
sacrosanct. This frequently results in a friendly dialogue to improve
the paper. Sometimes editors encourage this exchange. (I have never
knowingly been a victim of revenge as a result of a negative review,
and regard the risk of such as minor and far outweighed by the
positive consequences of open reviewing.)