silver stain negative results

lesley lancaster lancle2 at usfca.edu
Mon Mar 5 16:21:59 EST 2001

I am staining protein/polyacrylamide gels with bio-rad's silver stain plus.
when i stain SDS gels, the bands look fine. when i stain native gels, my
(snail) proteins do not show up, leaving only shadowy white bands in some
lanes against the deepening background-- i am not entirely convinced that
these are a result of the protein. my colleague's (insect) proteins appear
just fine on the same native gel (she uses urea, i use bio-rad's native
sample buffer). since the proteins show up w/ SDS, i am confused as to
where the go in Native.... maybe a buffer problem? I hope somebody has some
experience with this. Thanks, Lesley

---