monensin, nigericin and lysosomal pH

Harri Hassinen hhassine at hytti.uku.fi
Wed Mar 7 12:54:35 EST 2001

On 7 Mar 2001, Wolfgang Schechinger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that monensin and nigericin are used to control
> intracellular pH.
> since nigericin forms a a kind of proton channel and makes sense to
> me, I don't understand the way monensin is acting since it allows
> sodium ions to pass.
> Any clues?

If I recall correctly, both belong to the "new" group of antibiotic
polypeptides that slip into the membrane, forming open
ion-channels or pores in groups into it, thus allowing ions to pass
through and killing or a least maiming the "victim".

At least some of these polypeptide antibiotics have been first isolated
from tropic insects.

This is my recall and I am very happy if someone can verify my opinion...