how to remove the NP40 from protein solutions

Thu Mar 8 10:27:51 EST 2001

In article <4.3.1.2.20010307131541.00ad8b50 at norm.dpo.uab.edu>, brookes at uab.edu ("Paul S. Brookes.") wrote:

:Try BioRad's "BioBeads SM".  We had some success removing other detergents
:(triton, laurylmaltoside) from protein extracts.  They're expensive though.

Word of caution here. I've had success of quantitatively removing
detergents AND protein when Bio Beads SM were added directly to
protein solution. The usual way is to dialyse against solution contaning
lypophilic adsorbents (from Bio-Rad, Pharmacia or Calbiochem),
but it only works efficiently enough with well dialysable detergents
(those with high CMC). Getting rid of Triton this way is problematic.

        - Dima