NP-40 lysis

David F. Spencer dspencer at
Tue Mar 13 16:23:02 EST 2001

In article <0i1DddB$19d6EA9k at>, "Dr. Duncan Clark"
<Duncan at> wrote:

> In article < at>, the
> eminent Paul S. Brookes. at BIOSCI/MRC Human Genome Mapping Project
> Resource Centre wrote
> >    We use a product called "tergitol" from Sigma, which is one and the
> >    same with  100% NP-40.  Unfortunately it is solid at room
> >    temperature, so you have to heat it up to pipet it for your final
> >    concentration.
> My 5 year old Fluka 100% genuinely marked NP40 is and has always been
> liquid at RT. Are you sure it is supposed to be solid?
> Duncan

I would guess there is probably confusion here between NP-40 (a.k.a
Tergitol type NP-40, a solid at room temp.) and Nonidet P-40 (no longer
available but Sigma sells its equivalent, Igepal CA-630, a liquid at RT).

A recent Fluka catalogue lists 'Nonidet P-40 substitute' with synonyms
being NP-40 (as unfortunately Nonidet P-40 was sometimes called) as well
as Imbentin-N/52.

David F. Spencer, PhD
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

dspencer at