Alternate source of DEAE membrane?

Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Wed Mar 14 21:15:48 EST 2001

Thanx Dima. Indeed we have a bunch of that in the lab and an undergrad
wondered why we couldn't use it while the NA45 was unavailable. I thought
it would fall apart while doing the electrophoresis. After the
electrophoresis it surely wouldn't matter since the cellulose may be simply
spun down. I am going to ask her to try it now.

Did u use the DE81 straight, or did u activate it further by a NaOH wash?

Hiranya.

At 02:34 PM 3/14/01 GMT, Dima Klenchin wrote:
>hroychow at nmsu.edu ("Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury") wrote:
>:
>:Hi Dima, have you tried using the cellulosic filter paper. I am afraid it
>:will fall apart in the buffer during electrophoresis.
>
>Yes, I did. No, it won't fall apart. The only problem is
>small pieces of cellolose, but they can be spun down
>after elution easily.
>
>        - Dima
>
>:At 05:29 PM 3/13/01 GMT, Dima Klenchin wrote:
>:>taylor at org.chem.ethz.ch (hilvertg) wrote:
>:>:I'm not sure if this has been posted previously, but I am looking for an
>:>:alternative source for DEAE membranes for use in DNA
>:>:electroelution/purification. I used to use Schleicher and Schuell NA45,
>:>:but my supplier says that it is (unfortunately) no longer available from
>:>:S&S. Is there another company that makes a similar product?
>:>
>:>Whatman DE-81. It's a filter paper. Works just fine for electroelution.
>:>
>:>        - Dima

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
College Asst. Prof.