SS-specific RNAse

Deborah Hailstones Deborah.Hailstones at agric.nsw.gov.au
Thu Mar 15 23:34:32 EST 2001

Hi all,

Do all RNAses degrade all RNAs?  Can I buy one which will definitely *not*
degrade double stranded (viral replicative) RNA?

I'm looking to amplify a viral sequence from "dsRNA" extracted from infected
plants, but i suspect they also contain some single stranded plant RNA, and/or
DNA since my "uninoculated" plants are amplifying a band of the same size.  The
viral gene I'm trying to amplify is a homolog of a plant gene (family), tho I'm
yet to confirm that the plant gene will amplify under my conditions by doing
just PCR cf RT-PCR.

So, one option may be to remove plant DNA with DNAse, but will RNAse destroy my
dsRNA?  If not, how do I then ensure that the RNAse is fully inactivated before
I start my RT?

Any help much appreciated!  Cheers

Deb

---