fluorescent antibiotics?

David Alexander dc.alexander at utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 16 16:07:34 EST 2001

Hello All,

I would like to know if there are antibiotic analogs which,
upon cleavage by the appropriate antibiotic resistance protein,
produce coloured or fluorescent products.

I am screening clones for loss of antibiotic resistance.
Replica plating and/or mastering works fine,
but after the first few thousand colonies, the process has become tedious.

What I envision is similar to blue/white screening for inserts.
Except 'white' would indicate loss of antibiotic resistance activity
rather than loss of LacZ activity.

Thanks in advance,

David.

dc.alexander at utoronto.ca