isoamyl alcohol

Arnoud van Vliet avvliet at ision.nl
Sat Mar 17 18:00:38 EST 2001

"Burkhard Hassel" <Burkhard.Hassel at t-online.de>
> No, use a sodium CHLORIDE / ethanol precip. (1/10 vol 2 M NaCl, 2,5
> vol EtOH). With acetate you'll get unsoluble sodium acetate.
> Bu.

Bu(rkhard),

Insoluble sodium acetate? That stuff that you make in 3M stock
concentration. Sounds like a misunderstanding to me, and to say it bluntly,
I completely disagree with you here

With the old-fashioned Birnboim-Doly miniprep there was also sodium-acetate
(later potassium-acetate) present in very high concentrations (about 1 M),
and then after the PCI extraction you had to do an ethanol precipitation to
concentrate the DNA and get rid of phenol/chloroform. No insolubility here
either!

Arnoud