Q: EtBr absorbance

Krzysztof Wasowicz wasowicz at moskit.uwm.edu.pl
Mon Mar 19 05:01:46 EST 2001

wasowicz at moskit.uwm.edu.pl (Krzysztof Wasowicz) wrote:

>Hi,
>I have an EtBr solution of unknown concentration (between 10 and 20
>mg/ml). Does anyone know what is the specific absorbance of EtBr
>solution and at what wavelength it should be measured? I cannot make a
>reference solution. Any help will be appreciated. Please, e-mail me.
>Krzysztof Wasowicz, DVM, Ph. D.
>Department of Animal Anatomy
>Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
>University of Warmia and Mazury
>ul. Oczapowskiego 13 (Bldg. 105J)
>10-957 Olsztyn-Kortowo
>Poland
>Phone: +48-89-5233688, 5233733
>Fax: +48-89-5234986
>Email: wasowicz at uwm.edu.pl
Hi,
Thanks for information about EtBr. The only use I am doing of EtBr now
is staining gels. I agree that it is not very important to know the
exact concentration and different concentrations would work fine, but
(maybe I am  a strange person) it makes me feeling a little bad that I
do not know the exact concentration while checking it would be easy
(the only thing you need to know is wave length and specific
absorbance). I was also watching the thread and extracted some
interesting information.
Yours,

Email: wasowicz at uwm.edu.pl