GeneClean and MERmaid kits

Andy Scotter pcxajs at
Tue Mar 20 05:15:28 EST 2001

	Just a quick question about BIO101's Geneclean and MERmaid kits.

We are looking into getting a different (cheaper) kit for DNA purification
from gel slices.  We use a range of sizes of DNA and I noticed that
Geneclean claims to be effective from 200bp an up.  That would mean we
would need to get the MERmaid kit for DNA under 200bp, which I use
a lot!  Does anyone know if the protocols and reagents are the same
for both kits with the exception of the EZ-Glassmilk/Glassfog beads.  That
would obviosly allow us to buy a big Geneclean kit and just some Glassfog
beads for cleaning up anything under 200bp.  ANy advice from users of
these kits will be greatly appreciated...

Andy Scotter
Dept. of Biological Chemistry
School of Chemistry
University of Nottingham