GeneClean and MERmaid kits

Andy Scotter pcxajs at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Mar 20 05:15:28 EST 2001

	Just a quick question about BIO101's Geneclean and MERmaid kits.

We are looking into getting a different (cheaper) kit for DNA purification
from gel slices.  We use a range of sizes of DNA and I noticed that
Geneclean claims to be effective from 200bp an up.  That would mean we
would need to get the MERmaid kit for DNA under 200bp, which I use
a lot!  Does anyone know if the protocols and reagents are the same
for both kits with the exception of the EZ-Glassmilk/Glassfog beads.  That
would obviosly allow us to buy a big Geneclean kit and just some Glassfog
beads for cleaning up anything under 200bp.  ANy advice from users of
these kits will be greatly appreciated...

Andy

********************************

Andy Scotter
Dept. of Biological Chemistry