Total phospholipid assay?

Wolfgang Schechinger wolfsc at
Wed Mar 21 11:35:28 EST 2001

first extract all lipids by Bligh and Dyer Method, then perform
an essay for inorganic phosphate (molybdic acid procedure). If I
remember correctly, there should be some papers from Schmitz-G and or
Assmann and or Robenek from 1980 - 1990.  Maybe you are able to
locate them in PubMed. Actually, thre should be plenty of references,
in that time and before that was common procedure.

> From:          ez <ezclimber at>
> Subject:       Total phospholipid assay?
> Date:          Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:05:00 -0700
> To:            methods at

> Can anyone recommend an assay for total phosholipids in a complex
> sample (natural biological material)?
> We'd prefer easy-to-use (such as a dye blot) and very sensitive. But
> anything will help at this point.
> Thanks for helping!
> Dave

Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger