isoamyl alcohol

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Mar 22 03:49:25 EST 2001

Ron Kim <rkim02 at emerald.tufts.edu> wrote:
> i know that phenol/chloroform/isoamyl alcohol should solubilize unwanted
> proteins and lipids, but does anyone know if it will also take out SDS
> from my aqueous DNA?

Thinking about the problem, a way to resolve it may be the usage
of highly concentrated potassium acetate (as in the third step of the
alkaline lysis protocol). Potassium dodecyl sulfate will precipitate
since it is fairly insoluble (in contrast to sodium dodecyl sulfate);
your DNA should remain in the supernatant and could be precipitated
subsequently with ethanol.

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de */