Genechip p53 sequencing

Chandi Griffin cgriffin at wco.com
Fri Mar 23 02:59:32 EST 2001

Hello Emanuela,

I have performed GeneChip analysis using the p53 arrays and fixed DNA
with success in the few analysis I've had occasion to perform, however I
found that in some cases the initial multiplex PCR rxn was insufficient,
and a second amplification was needed. I would imagine the extent of
fragmentation suffered by the final sample may be the determining factor
with respect to the need for re-amplification. Affymetrix in fact does
point out that DNA isolated from fixed tissue may in fact require a
second round of amplification, so even the company is aware of the issue
and has presumably performed some level of in-house R&D to address the
matter. Overall it is my experience that for all the p53 multiplex rxns.
it is very useful to run a sample of a known quality multiplex rxn as a
standard in electrophoresis to which one can compare the fixed samples.
With the reference intensity provided one can gain some sense of the
extent to which the PCR was a success.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

P.S. Do you per chance know a dear friend of mine -Dr. Alberto Sechi, he
is based in Udine?

Chandi Griffin
Mol. Biol. GCRC Core
SFGH -U.C.S.F.