codon usage optimisation

Bernard.Couvreur at var.fgov.be Bernard.Couvreur at var.fgov.be
Fri Mar 30 05:21:05 EST 2001

Dear Colleagues,

I am currently re-designing the coding sequences of viral proteins in an
expression vector
in order to have them expressed in mammalian cells. Regarding codon usage
optimisation,
 I am not sure whether I should put the most commonly used codons all over
(i.e. from a
"human high" table) or  just change the most unfavorable codons. As far as
I know
both strategies have been published, but it is difficult to find the
rationale. Some
colleagues have concerns over the toxicity of "over-optimised" genes.

I would be most grateful for any feedback,

yours sincerely

Bernard Couvreur
Department of Virology
Veterinary and Agrochemical Research Centre
VAR-CODA-CERVA
Groeselenberg 99
B-1180 Ukkel

Tel:      + 32 2 379 05 65