sequence services

Tim Spahlinger txs at po.cwru.edu
Wed May 9 13:32:37 EST 2001

Hi Deanne,

I agree with Emir.  If your PCR product is less than about
700-800 bases and you have enough of it available you could
sequence it without cloning.  To elaborate, if I wish to
sequence directly from the PCR product I dispense 100-150 ng
of purified PCR product, in a volume of about 10 ul, into
one tube and add 2 ul (5-20 pmol) of my forward primer to
it.  I dispense the same amount of the same PCR product into
a second tube and add 2 ul of my reverse primer to it.  Then
I have both preparations sequenced.  The sequences you'll
get back should span the entire length of your PCR product.
Just remember that the sequence that had the reverse primer
in it will be the reverse complement of your PCR product.  I
use a program called Chromas to help me analyze these
sequences to get a picture of the whole product.  You can
check this program out at
http://www.technelysium.com.au/chromas.html (once again, no
affiliation).  It's available as a download for a small fee
(about $75 US I think), and I think they allow you to
evaluate the program before you buy, so you might try it.

Good luck!