Fw: Unusual bands on silver stained AFLP

Tim Jackson tim.jackson at nrc.ca
Wed May 16 11:31:02 EST 2001

i'm not sure i agree with you, deanne.
i don't think there is any means for the pre-selective amp to "specifically
amplify" Eco/Mse fragments.  there is no control in either PCR to prevent
amplification of Mse/Mse fragments or Eco/Eco fragments (i've tried throwing
only Eco primers in the selective amp - i thought something was wrong with my
Mse primers so wanted a control - and saw tons of product on an agarose gel!).
so, i think toby might be onto something.
perhaps you want to try amplifying what you cut out of your silver stained gel
in an asymetrical PCR (normal or higher [Eco-NNN] and very low [Mse-NNN]).  or
maybe you could skip the Mse primer altogether.  that will give you single
stranded product but should certainly tell you it's an Mse-Mse fragment causing
you problems.

good luck!

tim