May glycerol interfere with Biorad protein assay?

Wolfgang Schechinger wolfsc at
Mon Nov 5 22:22:13 EST 2001

Dear Stefi,

actually, it should not. To be sure, you could include glycerol in your
controls or in the blanks. Your strange OD reading sounds like a contamination
or unwanted carryover. You might check your pipet tips outside for adherent

> "Stefi~" <xxxgifalone at> wrote:
> >Hi.
> >I have a protein sample (origin: peak eluted from chromatofocusing) that
> >contains glycerol. In my Biorad total protein assay (200uL Biorad+800uL
> >sample diluted) I obtain strange readings! With 2 uL of sample I obtain
> >A=0,300 but with 4 uL I read 0,200!!!! How can it be possibile?
> Ampholytes interfere with Bradford assay. Glycerol almost does not.
> >Does anyone
> >know what's happening? Thanx 2 every1!
> Use BCA assay in this case and you will be fine.
> DK

disclaimer: this message consists of
randomly assembled ascii characters.
a brain is reqired for decoding.
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger
Institute of Biomedical Sciences
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan R.O.C.
e mail wolfsc at ibms dot sinica dot edu dot tw