competent cells

hroychow at NMSU.Edu hroychow at NMSU.Edu
Wed Nov 7 11:16:00 EST 2001

Properly prepared and stored competent cells are usually viable and
competent for a
very long time. For example, the chemically comp. cells I prepared back in
december 2000 are still being used and do not show any significant loss of
efficiency. The last batch of electrocompetent cells that I prepared in
April of this year (10% glyc for E. coli) are still working fine.

Hiranya S Roychowdhury, Ph.D.
Coll. Asst. Prof.
Molecular Biology
Chemitry & Biochemistry
New Mexico State University
New Mexico, US,

On 6 Nov 2001, Sulakshana Mukherjee wrote:

> Dear All,
> I just want to know that how long could the competent cells be stored at
> -70degC? I had prepared the competent cells (for electroshock
> tranformation) just one month back.
> Thanks for your input in advance.
>
>  with best regards,
> Sulakshana