isolating large amounts of yeast genomic

Ricky antispamfud at pleaseREMOVEyahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 12:20:55 EST 2001

Hey, folks,

I am interested in procuring large quantities of yeast genomic DNA, for
use as part of a blocking solution. I thought that commercially
available yeast DNA would be fine, except that there really isn't any
company that markets bulk grade yeast DNA on the same scale as salmon or
herring sperm.

So, I guess the answer is to make it ourselves, yeast isn't that
difficult to grow. Question is, does anyone have an inexpensive protocol
for purifying yeast genomic DNA, by the bucketful? Zymolyase on this
scale can be cost prohibitive (I am talking at least 10 liters of yeast
culture here), and the DNA really doesn't have to be that clean (if I
can digest it with a cheap restriction enzyme, that is good enough).

I would appreciate either a pointer to a commercial, inexpensive source
of this DNA, or to a protocol that scales up well. Thanks so much.

-r

--
To reply, please remove the pleaseREMOVE from the address.
It is just a SPAM deterrent.