ABI 3100 DNA sequencer: lifespan of reagents

Bruno Cenni bruno.removethis.cenni at removethis.insel.ch
Tue Nov 20 02:32:42 EST 2001

Besides filling the syringe with a really minimal amount of POP and using
the latest version of the software (that doesn't return the small syringe to
the top position before each run anymore) you cannot do much. And the POP
waste is a cost factor. Another pain are the bubbles that tend to get
trapped in the neck of the lower polymer block. Displacing those also
costs... Another way to save POP is to run fragment analysis
(microsatellites etc.) also with a 50 cm array and POP6 so you don't need to
switch array/POP between runs if throughput is not an issue. The quality of
the sequence degrades gradually after about 10-15 days keeping the same POP
in the syringe, same is for the arrays. If some arrays keep good separation
quality for more than 200 runs, we've had one go bad after 80 (replaced by
ABI). BTW, has anyone done some SSCP on the 3100?

Bruno

news:f37bfd8b.0111190026.417bf861 at posting.google.com...