the difference between tryptone and peptone

Wed Nov 28 21:15:54 EST 2001

If I remember correctly, both are produced by digesting by-products of meat
industry. The difference is in the way the digestion is carried out. As the
names of products indicate, Tryptone is a tryptic digest (i.e. with
trypsin), whereas Peptone is a product of peptic digest (i.e. with crude
digestive jouces - I might be mistaken here, but it probably does not matter
much). In general, I would substitute one for another, because their
composition is very similar. Check with the manufacturer on the typical
contents of both. See for example
http://www.bd.com/diagnostics/microservices/regulatory/TypicalAnalysis.asp .
Emir

news:20011129012206.289.qmail at web20406.mail.yahoo.com...