Expression problems

Sergio sergioal at bbm1.ucm.es
Tue Oct 9 06:37:31 EST 2001

It seems hard to detect where the problem is, since you didn't change
anything. So, just some hints:
have you checked the amount of plasmid/cell? maybe an old antibiotic stock
allows cells without plasmids or with low copy number plasmid to survive.
are you sure the induction is working? try the IPTG over another
overexpression clone or over a Plac-lacZ plasmid and check the miller units.

If you don't trust on protease inhibitors, you could lyse teh cells directly
in the PAGE loading buffer, and check whether they are really overexpressing
the protein, before performing the purification.

a good supposed_to_be_positive control could be to use a pMAL or pGST vector
and check the plasmid copy number, whether you can see the bands these
vectors produce after induction with IPTG (loading the heat lysed cells),
after lysing using the sonicator/french press/whatever you use, and after
passing through your columns (to which they obviously shouldn't bind).

Sergio

jon ha escrito: