How many times can you re-use a Southern?

John Dixon jpcd100 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 19 04:29:42 EST 2001

Hi All, we have a number of replica filters with assorted mouse genomic
digests, that we use to restriction map each locus of interest.
Recently our hybridizing bands have started to become very faint, and
one consideration is that the DNA may be "worn out" in some way, by
repeated stripping (boiling 0.1% SDS, poured on, cool to RT),
nucleases, or whatever.

Can anyone give me a rough idea how many times we should expect to be
able to re-use these things before they're knackered; once, ~10 times,
~100x, indefinitely?

Cheers

JD