How many times can you re-use a Southern?

Nick Jacobsen nickjacobsen at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 09:39:43 EST 2001

Hi

i used to do loads of pulsed field electrophoresis southerns and used
to strip, using the same method as you, and rehybridise them around 10
to 15 times. At that point they would start suffering. After blotting
I used to fix the DNA to biorad zetaprobe nylon filters using NaOH
incubation (as detailed in the protocol booklet) followed by baking at
80 degrees C for 2 hours. this seemed to make the blots last longer
(ie more like 15 times). i think its a simple case of the DNA target
becoming slowly washed off by repeated stripping.

hope this helps

Nick