phosphorothioate oligos as primers in PCR ?

Wolfgang Schechinger wolfsc at
Tue Oct 23 12:17:54 EST 2001

Dear Josmar,

I once tried several (5 or 6) 17 to 19 mers, full PTOs. None ove them worked.
But I didn't try to do optimize, just was a little courious.

I'd expect the P=S bonds to cause some problems (killing the polymerase by
forming some sort of tight bonds as also known from ATPgammaS and kinases

But why not give it a try and tell us here?

> Hi there,
> does anyone know, whether phosphorothioate oligos will work as primers
> in PCR?
> Thanks
> Josmar
> --
> Josmar Langner
> NOXXON Pharma AG
> Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25
> D-13355 Berlin

disclaimer: this message consists of
randomly assembled ascii characters.
a brain is reqired for decoding.
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger
Institute of Biomedical Sciences
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan R.O.C.
e mail wolfsc at ibms dot sinica dot edu dot tw