PPT gels

Fri Oct 26 17:46:57 EST 2001

It has been discussed before, as well as it is mentioned somewhere in
Bio-Rad's or other manuals that cracks are due to acetic acid in the gel and
air bubbles. I generally run same precast gels as yours, stain/fix them in
0.1% Coomassie R250 : 10% acetic acid : 40% ethanol for at least 1 h
(overnight OK), destain in 10% acetic acid : 40% ethanol followed by water
(not necessarily distilled). Quite often I would destain with distilled
water in a microwave (boil 2-3 min). I dry the gels in a gel drying
cassette/frame (not in a dryer) between 2 sheets of cellophane (e.g.,
Promega's Gel Drying Film). I hope you know how to use gel drying frames, so
I will not go into details here. Important thing is to remove ALL air
bubbles between the sheets of cellophane - literally put your gel in a pond
of water and cover with the second cellophane sheet, and then squeeze or
drip extra water out. It is better not to use small frames. 20 x 30 cm ones
per 1 10 cm gel worked best in my hands.

Let me know if that worked.
Emir

news:20c8e91.0110261357.144cb5f8 at posting.google.com...