freezing retrovirus supernatant

Victor L. levenson at northwestern.edu
Tue Sep 11 16:28:44 EST 2001

It all depends on the envelope. In my hands ecotropic virus can
withstand one freezing (better-flash in liqN2) and thawing at 37^C
after storage at -80^C; you don't need to add anything.  Even so, the
titer drops ~4 fold. With VSVg pseudotyped titer stays pretty much the
same after one round.

Unlrafiltration helps but concentrating media proteins makes the final
product quite toxic <why?> to target cells and ecotropic virus was
destroyed <?> since the titer increase was insubstantial.

Your milage may vary....

Victor