freezing retrovirus supernatant

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at
Tue Sep 11 16:35:15 EST 2001

On 10 Sep 2001 13:42:19 +0100,
    "Wolfgang Schechinger" (wolfsc at wrote:
> Hi all,
> a quick question, a quick answer is desired. I have some supernatant of
> retrovirus producing cells). Is it possible to simply freeze the supernatant or
> should I concentrate the virus (how? - this is another question) and add 50%
> glyzerol.

Depends on the envelope.  Pantropic virions pseudotyped with VSV-G
appear to withstand 1 - 2 rounds of freeze-thaw with no significant
loss of infectivity (as measured by GFP expression after infection).

Viruses with the amphotropic envelope are more susceptible to

We don't add any glycerol.  Just flash freeze in a dry-ice/ethanol
bath or liquid nitrogen.  Quick thaw at 37oC.  Stocks frozen
slowly (1oC/min) at -80oC lose infectivity more rapidly.

Ashok Aiyar                                   a-aiyar at
Department of Microbiology-Immunology           office: (312) 503-2524
303 E. Chicago Avenue, WARD 4-123                  lab: (312) 503-2542
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611         fax: (312) 503-1339