RNA markers

Tina Higgins thiggins at wpi.edu
Thu Sep 13 16:52:13 EST 2001

Hi -- I'm studying transcriptional expression of a big gene in C. elegans
(the cDNA is predicted ~40kb) using Northern blots.  The blots are working
fine -- I see a pretty big transcript, but I cannot be sure how big
because the biggest RNA marker I can find to use tops out at 9kb.  Does
anyone know of commercial markers I could buy with larger bands?  I am
also using a known gene, unc-89, whose transcript is 20.7kb as a control
for the transfer and as a marker band of sorts, but it too falls well
below the transcript size I'm looking for.  Does anyone have suggestions
for other genes I could use?
Thanks in advance,
Tina