buying advice for repeat pipetters

Wed Sep 26 15:46:33 EST 2001

Sorry, cannot really suggest a better repeater, because I did not have a
chance to compare: I used only Eppendorff ones - both fixed volume and
adjustable (check fisher catalog, e.g.). The Eppendirff ones are pretty
good, and it is an established brand.

IMHO, if I had a good budget to spend extra $200-300, I would go for
electronic pipettor, mainly because they have repeater function and
adjustable flow speed. There are models that work with pipetts and those
that work with conventional pipet tips. The only problem is that the latter
ones come in much narrower volume ranges than you want - similar ranges to
manual pipettors. The choice largely depend on your applications. In our lab
we do a lot of cell culture, and adjustable flow  speed is very useful to
prevent cell dislodgement during media changes.

If you don't care about cell dislodgement, etc., then I would recommend
fully adjustable Eppendorff (Brinkman) repeater - not the one with 5 fixed
positions of the wheel. Again, Fisher, VWR, etc., sell those.

Emir

"Mark Jordan" <mark.jordan at ioz.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:007901c14118$cf07cce0$168050c2 at ucl.ac.uk...
Hi,

I am looking to buy a manual repeat pipetter (1-2500 ul) in the UK.  Is
there any out there who has can suggest a model?  Are there ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance,
 Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark A. Jordan, PhD
Honorary Research Fellow
Nuffield Building
Institute of Zoology, Zoological Society of London
Regent's Park, London NW1 4RY, UK
Telephone: (44) 020 7449 6642
FAX:  (44) 020 7586 2870
*If using these numbers from outside of
the UK drop the first 0 after the 44.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This e-mail has been sent in confidence to the named addressee(s).
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose or distribute
it in any form, and you are asked to contact the sender immediately.
Views or opinions expressed in this communication may not be those
of The Zoological Society of London and, therefore, The Zoological
Society of London does not accept legal responsibility for the contents
of this message.  The recipient(s) must be aware that e-mail is not a
secure communication medium and that the contents of this mail may
have been altered by a third party in transit.
If you have any issues regarding this mail please contact:
administrator at zsl.org.