U87 cells

Thu Sep 27 16:51:12 EST 2001

I did not work with U87, but I know that this is a cancer cell line (if I am
not mistaken, they are derived from brain cancer), and clumping of cancer
cells is quite common. LNCaP cells (prostate cancer) that I work with do it
al the time. There are few things I could recommend you to try to see if the
cells start clumping less. One thing is the volume of the medium you grow
the cells in. Try using more media. More media means longer time before the
cells acidify it. High acidity is one of the unfavorable growth factors, and
it will cause the cells stick together to survive. You might check if your
cells will grow on other higher buffered media, or check bicarbonate
concentration in the medium you use and CO2 concentration in your incubator.
Third thing, your cells might be less prone to clumping in richer media
(e.g. RPMI vs. DMEM). Another thing, you may try using plasticware coated
with poly-lysine, collagen, etc. for increased binding of the cells. The
stronger the binding of the cells to plastic, the flatter cells would
spread.

And don't treat them too hard. You might even be able to flush them from the
plastic without tripsinization. In my impression, even if you don't brake
the clumps before plating, the cells will spread on the plastic anyway (and
then start forming clumps).

- Emir

news:9cFs7.9945$%r.2819216 at news20.bellglobal.com...