My pLys confusion

Jeffery Haines jhaines at uoguelph.ca
Mon Apr 1 01:21:06 EST 2002

Hello all,

Just wondering if someone can give me the "in a nutshell" summary of
pLys.  We're using BL21 cells in the lab I work in, and I've always
wondered the purpose of it.  I did the good ol' Google search and I got
more confused... 1) encodes T7 lysozyme which inhibits T7 RNA poly (which
I guess would be good when you're not expressing protein, but is it still
expressed when expression is going on?  (is the lysozyme constantly
expressed?).  2)  chops up peptidoglycan in E. coli membr.
Is this pLysS thing doing both?  What is pLysE?  Can anyone give me the
story or recommend a website that is not trying to advertise a product
that is for sale? LOL

Cheers to all!
Jeff