H. influenzae RE digests early '70s...

Ned Mantei mantei at cell.biol.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 3 03:22:23 EST 2002

In article <3ca9e852$1 at news.uia.ac.be>,
 Roland Hübner <roland.hubner at ua.ac.be> wrote:

> in a paper from 1972 a RE digest of SV40 strains with H. influenza is
>shown, but the 11 fragments that are displayed do not correspond with
>HindIII or HincII or HinfI digest patterns... Perhaps a mixture ?
> Anybody happen to know whether a combo was frequently isolated from H.
>influenzae those days...
It was "Hind", which is a combination of Hind III and Hind II. Hind II
is the same as Hinc II (except that Hind II is isolated from a serotype
d strain and Hinc II from serotype c). It was only later realized that
H. influenza d contains more than one restriction enzyme (I don't know
what happened to Hind I).

Ned Mantei
Department of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland