Why are Gilson pipettes so popular?

R. John Lye rjl6n at virginia.edu
Wed Apr 3 07:31:39 EST 2002

BL wrote:

> I do have them calibrated.

Good, even the best pipettors lose calibration over time.

> But I do notice that the volume indicators tend to "change" when I do a

> lot of repeated pipetting.

That's strange, I don't see that with the Gilsons.  In my hands, that is
more common with other brands (which will remain anonymous, and
have recently been replaced in our lab).

> Also, the spring is very stiff and causes strain on my thumb on repeated
> usage...

I've never noticed that to be a problem at all, but then I've got reasonably
strong hands from some of my outside activities like wrenching on race
cars, and playing the electric bass.

John