Why are Gilson pipettes so popular?

D.K. dk at no.email.thankstospam.net
Thu Apr 4 00:36:06 EST 2002

In article <Pine.SGI.4.33.0204031443300.5332381-100000 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk>, Michael Witty <mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, D.K. wrote:
>
>> 2. Their design is proven to be reliable, easily to maintan and fix
>> (unike some other brands).
>> DK
>
>Dear DK,
>       please name-and-shame.
>                            Regards, Mike.

I only have a very limited experience with those, so I might
very easily be wrong. FWIW anyway:

Eppendord
        Incompatible  tips. Too hard to calibrate and clean.
Finnpipettes/Labsystems
        Annoying loud clicking when changing volumes. Hard
        to remove ejector.
Oxford (early models; I think they have since)
        Were not accurate and were losing calibration fast.
ISC BioExpress "GenMate" line
        Cheap Gilson clones. Genuine junk IMHO. They weigh
        twice less and perform respectively: broken shafts,
        misaligned ejectors, poor calibration hold.

IMHO, all competitors to Gilson make one mistake - they don't
give their pipettors away on fairs, demos, etc. If I can't *really*
use it, I don't know if it is worth buying en mass. Yet, "what
the heck, I'll spend $1200 on a set to see if it is any good (and
I am screwed if it is not)" reasoning does not usually bode well
in the lab. Thus far, nobody gave me pipettors for free to try out,
so I am content with my 8 years old set of Gilsons.

DK