in-vivo cross-linking?

Wolfgang Schechinger wolfsc at ibms.sinica.edu.tw
Wed Apr 10 12:53:22 EST 2002

Dear Yoram,

did you check the Pierce catalogue? They offer a lot of crosslinking reagents.
Maybe you are also lucky at Molecular Probes' Website. They could have some
photocleavable caged compounds.

Have also a look in the Methods in Enzymology Series. There was a volume
before 1992 I remember vaguely with some contributions on the syntesis of
photoactivable crosslinkers. Schaefer (ae = 'a umlaut') might be one of the
relevant authors, but no warranty on that.

Actually any molecule that's not too bulky and uncharged should be able to
pass a membrane just by diffusion and do the job. If you're not too picky, try
a bidental aldehyde like glutardialdehyde or an analog with a longer spacer.
After an IP, you even might be able to re-dissociate the bound complexes with
excess NH3 or other amines, as long as you don't reduce the formed imines to
secondary amines with NaBH3CN (that could be useful for stabilizing in turn).

This probably might kill your bacteria as side effect :(

Best regards,
Wo

> Greetings Netters
> Does any one know about a cross linker suitble for in-vivo cross linking of
> soluble protein in bacteria? We want to look for complex formation. Thanks
> Yoram
>

> ---

-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger