PAGE of DNA: EtBr?

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at
Fri Aug 2 18:43:23 EST 2002

On 2 Aug 2002 04:08:50 -0700, besenmatter at (Werner) wrote:

>I would like to run a preparatrive PAGE for small ds DNA (170bp).
>Since I use precast TBE-gels without Ethidium bromide my question is:
>Can I add Ethidium bromide in the sample before loading to avoid
>staining of the gel after the electrophoresis run?

You can easily stain the gel after the run by soaking it in about 1
ug/ml EtBr for about 10 min; it works really well because the
acrylamide quenches the fluorescence of the unbound EtBr and the
background is pretty low.

Nick Theodorakis
nicholas_theodorakis at