Safe sensitive alternates to EtBr sought for DNA detection

Phillip Irwin pirwin at iastate.edu
Tue Aug 13 10:42:02 EST 2002

Hello all,

Our lab is interested in discontinuing the use of EtBr for detection of DNA
in Agarose gels. I know there are many alternatives available, and as you
know each vendor claims theirs is the best. Instead of sampling all of them
to find out which one really is the best, I would like to hear from you,
because you know how the products work in practice. I'm interested in the
following:

Health risk's, Sensitivity, Heat stability, Shelf life, Useability (pain in
the butt factors), Disposal, Cost

If there are any additional concerns/information that I haven't thought of,
please feel free to let me know.

Thank you in advance for your help with this,

Phil

Phillip A. Irwin

Research Associate (Voytas Lab)

Iowa State University