Reasons for gel samples running unevenly?

Jose I. de las Heras jose at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Aug 16 10:03:15 EST 2002

Michael Witty wrote:

> > By non-level apparatus, do you mean a gel apparatus that causes a gel
> > to be thinner on one end than on the other?
>
> Yes, or the level of the buffer different left to right.  Mike.

IN fact, if you want to run a PFGE, which you run for much longer times
than conventional gels (in my particular case up to 10 days, although
2-5 days more common), you have to make sure the tank is completely
level, and the gel has to be poured also perfectly level... otherwise
the dna will not run evenly or on a straight line...

Jose

Dr. Jose I. de las Heras	Email: 	Jose.delasHeras at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
MRC Human Genetics Unit		Tel: 	(0131) 3322471
Chromosome Biology Section		ext: 	2306 (office)
Western General Hospital			2310 (lab)
Edinburgh EH4 2XU		Fax: 	(0131) 3432620
Scotland - United Kingdom

"Musha ring dum a doo dum a da, Whack for my daddy-o"