Southern Blots

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 26 13:09:20 EST 2002

Some things to keep in mind are

larger fragments will transfer less efficiently than smaller fragments

longer stretches of homology with the probe can produce more intense signals

multiple copies of the gene-- some fragments may be common among
different copies of the gene, giving higher signals, while others
might be unique.

There are probably others as well.

Mike

--